KL Tong Kee Egg Tarts

Posted by Cokeworld Citizen | 4:41 PM | , | 12 comments »

The 3rd day of my KL trip is the last day me and Durianberry meet together. After parting ways at KTM MidValley, the next time we meet up will be back in Penang :) Funny thing is we spent more time together in KL than in Penang :P

Durianberry told me the directions to Lai Foong kopitiam. I am surprise that my hotel was just a street away... hahaha. Another classic kopitiam which is hard to come by in this huge city...Okay back to dmain topic...

I finally had Tong Kee egg tarts. Yes, egg tarts that was raved by all food bloggers from KL, Penang and some say Ipoh ...hehe
sorry for the lousy egg tart presentation in photo...Its amazing that they actually endured more than 5 hours in a bag full of other goodies squished together.

Now why everyone loved Tong Kee egg tarts so much? Not that there is no other egg tarts in KL.
Reason? Simple. They have lard in the pastry :) Very rare indeed. It's hard to find tarts that has lard in its pastry base. They didn't add much but its noticeable. The egg curd filling is not sweet either. Good stuff I say but it didn't won my heart ;)

Yes, the next item from Tong Kee...Pineapple tarts!!! And of course I chose the buttered variety :) Just imagine the fragrant buttery tarts crumbles in your mouth and melts away combining the flavours of the pineapple jam filling. Heaven....still it didn't won my heart....

So many other pastry and cakes at Tong Kee corner but I chose this paper wrapped cake. I was thrilled to know they sell this so I tarpao 4 biji.

Yes, after a bite I knew this is the cake that I was looking for. Perfectly silky soft fragrant 'kai dan kou'. Cottony soft, smooth and that nice egg smell...

I finally found it....

Happy drooling :)

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

12 comments

  1. "Joe" who is constantly craving // May 25, 2008 at 8:47 PM  

    talking abt tong kee, its been ages since i had some..its always only during dim sum..

  2. Cokeworld Citizen // May 25, 2008 at 9:19 PM  

    joe:
    egg tart for dim sum...something I havent done in a while. I hate working :S

  3. Anonymous // May 26, 2008 at 4:49 PM  

    Oh you are so making my tummy growl now. I'm stuck in a Coffee Bean in the rain and there's no escape or perfect egg tart in sight! :(

  4. wmw // May 26, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

    Aiyah...I love the kai dan gou. Very sentimental to me also, my dad always bought me for my breakfast :o)

  5. CK Lam // May 26, 2008 at 8:05 PM  

    Sure missed those egg tarts... nice if they can set up a branch in Penang.

  6. Cokeworld Citizen // May 26, 2008 at 8:29 PM  

    kenny:
    hoho but they do have butter cake and cranberry scones...not bad when microwaved :) John King perhaps?

    wmw:
    *nods head* hehe reminds me of those days when I had cake bits all over my mouth after eating it XD

    cklam:
    but the sentimental will not be there...think ghee hiang opening a branch in KL :S No feel ady rite?

  7. Anonymous // May 27, 2008 at 1:51 PM  

    Oo... that cake reminds me of the kai dan kou my mom used to make for dad's birthday... haha. She doesn't bake it though, she steamed it.

  8. Cokeworld Citizen // May 27, 2008 at 2:02 PM  

    jason:
    I cant remember but my dad pernah told me bake and steam versions have different egg ratio...

  9. Anonymous // May 28, 2008 at 2:06 PM  

    i love their egg tart very much...

  10. Cokeworld Citizen // May 28, 2008 at 5:32 PM  

    squall:
    yupz...kinda good. Should be on par with HK's, tho HK's will be slightly above as they use different eggs and flour from us.

  11. Precious Pea // June 1, 2008 at 11:00 PM  

    Tong Kee got paper wrapped cake? AIyoo..i didn't know! I love this a lot especiallyjust fresh from oven. So light, fluffy and eggy!

  12. Cokeworld Citizen // June 2, 2008 at 12:33 AM  

    Precious Pea:
    Hehe another paper wrapped cake fan :) Eggy smell good de neh?