Home Made Soy Milk

Posted by Cokeworld Citizen | 12:38 AM | , | 5 comments »

I never made soya milk in my life but the watery tepi jalan soya milk encouraged me to try at least once. So I attempted twice. First attempt, I used China soy beans. It didn't turn out to be a flop but I ended up having tepi jalan quality soy drink. I added too much water as I feared the soy milk will burn at the bottom of the pot.

Fine. I made the 2nd attempt by soaking organic Mongolian soy beans (RM5.60 a packet) for about a day. Of course, they rehydrate faster, better smelling, larger beans and no frothy water compare to their Chinese beans counterpart. Oh yeah, did anyone noticed the tiny article in the papers that mentioned about French organic chickens were fed with melamine contaminated soy feeds from China? Anyway, back to the soy milk attempt.

Due to my mother's "just buy lah from outside" attitude, I don't have many electric kitchen gadgets except for blender, rice cooker and toaster :( So this calls for semi traditional method of blending the re-hydrated soy beans with a little water and filter it with a kopitiam tea filter equipment.

You can either filter after cooking the puree or filter the puree and boil the soy milk. The latter will be a Chinese method where foaming could be avoided if we filter the puree and boil the soy milk (Cold filtration). Hot filtration (Japanese method) yields more soy milk but I don't think I can squeeze the soy milk from the pulps when its piping hot :S Thanks to Wikipedia, I sounded like an expert. No? LOL

Here's the pulp. People hardly eat this these days. Taukua is made of 2nd filtration soy pulps. I wonder if we need to unshell the beans.

You can add your sugar syrup separately after bringing the soy milk to a simmer (keep stirring). Watch your fire because the soy milk burns easily and you will end up with burnt smelling road side soy milk if you are not careful.

At the end of the whole process, I did think "Should I just pay RM2.50 for a cup of soy milk instead?"
Neh...the soy milk turn out to be thick and smooth.

Happy reading~

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

5 comments

  1. Precious Pea // December 9, 2008 at 8:51 AM  

    I didn't know they have China and Mongolian soy bean!! Anyway, my vote goes for homemade but then again, too much hassle. I did it 3 times few months ago but the hours and effort spent in the process didn't commensurate with the 5 cups end result.

    Anyway, if you do intend to do it again, put in 2 slices of ginger and pandan to flavour it. Really good!

  2. J2Kfm // December 9, 2008 at 9:44 AM  

    home made soy milk? one glance and I thought u somehow bought the homemade variety.
    whoops. :)

    but making your own stuff = satisfaction, wholesome, and gloating rights.

  3. Allie // December 9, 2008 at 4:10 PM  

    my aunt used to make homecook soy milk for me. It taste awesome.

    http://allie-sunny.blogspot.com

  4. Anonymous // December 10, 2008 at 5:37 PM  

    Aww... this reminds me of my mom. She used to make her own soy milk many years ago.

  5. Cokeworld Citizen // December 10, 2008 at 11:07 PM  

    Precious Pea:
    Hehe I know about China beans but not Mongolia :P Too bad world known Canadian soy beans are no where to be found. Yeah will try when I don't feel lazy XD

    J2Kfm:
    Cheh. Anyway If any of the brands out there sells soy drink close to what I had in Spore, I will flock to it.

    Allie:
    Thanks for dropping by. Your aunty so nice...Most of the time I give food to my aunty instead :P

    Jason:
    You also can make wat. Buy the soy milk maker and press a button and you can have your fresh soy milk in minutes. Hehe