Penang Eastern Oriental Hotel Buffet Lunch

Posted by Cokeworld Citizen | 12:05 AM | , , | 6 comments »

It's end of the year and normally my uncle would treat my family for nice buffet meal. This time he decided to try the E&O buffet lunch which he claimed it was good after he had a meal there about 2 weeks ago.

Guess the recession hit the hotels hard eh? It used to be flowers. Now its being replaced by some unidentified green plant :S

Iced water with some lime added in is a must every time I have buffet meals. Digest faster means can eat more right?

The appetizer below is Seafood with Fruit. Well from what I'd tasted it should be scallops, sweet basil and strawberries mixed with some EVOO. Scallops were sweet but I think the basil didn't go well or too much basil so not many went for it.

Of course, who would miss the oysters? Squeezed some lime and I slurped it down my throat. It's fresh and I could taste the hint of sweetness in it. However the oysters weren't shucked properly as the shell bits was all over on its flesh.

I had another serving of baked oysters. I didn't really like it because they over baked it and it has that fishy smell to it. No fresh :(

Hot plate on the action with chefs grilling beef, lamb and seafood.


This is the Char Koay Teow uncle.

Fresh huge prawns were used in E&O Char Koay Teow.

He did a pretty good job. Char Koay Teow was delicious. Better than Sisters Char Koay Teow hands down!

It looks like an ordinary char siew but I assure you its not. Have you tried Lamb Char Siew? Definitely my first. The taste was not bad albeit a bit dry and cold.

Then I went on with the usual grill beef and lamb. Beef was super tender. The chef might have punched it real good. LOL Lamb was tough. The grill salmon wasn't good either. Dad was right. When salmon is grilled, it's not fresh.

Crabs were good with smoky taste to it but they were all small and the tray was filled with its shells. Honey chicken wing is supposed to be served hot. So imagine munching on chilled bbq wings. Hard. Finally mom found Cod fish (The main reason my uncle wanted to go to Sarkies Corner) but unfortunately its fried and badly fried. Oil were spewing out once I dig in.

After dealing with not so satisfying main dishes, I eyed on the Choc fountain.

Marshmellow with choc sauce. I think I prefer fruits with choc.

My cousin brought some cupcakes to the table. Pretty issn't it? Taste good too.

Hahaha, I couldn't have enough of Goodsberry. They were placed as decorations on cakes and desserts. I practically snapped up every single berry on those desserts :) Pretty little thing.

Washed everything down with 3 cups of hot tea. Tak boleh tahan. It was too full.

The verdict is I don't think I would return to E&O Hotel for its buffet especially lunch. The environment was noisy (lunch). The only thing I like about the place today is the lights coming in through those huge windows. I'd been there for Chinese New Year dinner which cost a bomb. The food are the almost same even after 3 visits on 3 separate occasions.

Currently we are considering G Hotel for CNY reunion dinner.

Happy reading~

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

6 comments

  1. Anonymous // December 30, 2008 at 12:44 PM  

    Ohh..the Oyster looks fresh..but then I don't eat fresh Oyster, I just like to eat cooked Oyster hehe!
    The Marshmellow with choc sauce looks very nice!

    Between, how much per person for this buffet?

  2. Cokeworld Citizen // December 30, 2008 at 3:52 PM  

    Malaysia Food Blog:
    If they do it right, cooked oysters are equally good too. Haha when I was getting the marshmellow coated with choc the bowl edge went it as well :P

    Each person is about RM58 but somehow with Citibank discounts and Senior citizen prices, each is about RM45.

  3. New Kid on the Blog // December 30, 2008 at 5:06 PM  

    i went there not long ago... didn't take any pictures... find that the food there is just so so nowadays.

    anyway, happy new year!

  4. Cokeworld Citizen // December 30, 2008 at 7:44 PM  

    New Kid on the Blog:
    Yalo food there is bland according to one of my relative...lol. Atmosphere ady kalah to other hotels.
    Happy New Year to you too!

  5. AdrianT // January 9, 2009 at 12:47 AM  

    Wow... the food looks great.. i like crab, feel like going to have one now. Thanks for sharing. =)

  6. Cokeworld Citizen // January 9, 2009 at 12:57 AM  

    AdrianT:
    No problem ;)