Finally a trip with my friends! That's about time...No pre-plans because the trip was decided the night before. That is how crazy my friends can be :P

The day started out cloudy followed by heavy rain for an hour or two but after that, the sky cleared when we wanted to head over to Weld Quay.

Bright sun + blue sky = smooth trip :D

We had to take ferry over to mainland Penang's bus terminal because there were no bus (to Kamunting, Taiping) available at Sungai Nibong Bus Terminal. Its been ages since I'd been on a ferry...5 years?

The bus arrived at 1.30pm. Fortunately there was still some time to spare because we are unsure of the bus schedule. We happily hopped into the bus, snored for 1.5 hours and there we were...Kamunting, Taiping.

And guess what? I our first stop was actually Taiping's Tesco not cendol stall... LOL! But of course we didn't simply drop by the hypermarket for fun. We had to pick up some stuff to BBQ at my friend's place later when night falls.

Later on, we tried our luck to see if Bismillah Cendol was still open. My friend said it finishes early and it was 4++pm already. The stall was located at Jalan Barrack (Taiping) behind a secondary school. Indeed, the stall was still open when we reached.

Because we were late, they had run out of red beans and 'pulut' (Malay term for glutinous rice).

This was the uncle behind the stall that day. He was packing several packets of cendol. I noticed that take-away cendol's portion was huge. The mug he used was a standard container to contain shaved ice and other condiments before pouring them into a huge plastic bag.

A cooling bowl of cendol... It was a bit to my disappointment because the santan was not as thick as I thought. The santan did not have the slight salty after taste. I guess the coconut milk was freshly prepared daily as they don't last very long without salt. The black sugar syrup had sharp but light taste compare to Penang's. The cendol strands was interesting because it has a distinctive pandan flavor to it, not just the color. Too bad they were too soft for my liking.

After eating, I asked if I could visit the back to see the place they prepared the cendol. They gladly allowed :)

They had already made the cendol so we only get to see the finish product, one huge container of it. The machine below was the machine they used to cook the cendol.

How I know about the place? I clearly remember an episode of Ho Chiak (8TV) aired about 3 years ago. They introduced this place towards the end of the show. Hehe...

Okay...Taiping famous cendol, checked. More post coming up :D

Happy reading~

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

3 comments

  1. Anonymous // September 17, 2009 at 3:17 PM  

    i too felt that Bismillah's cendol not that good. if Taiping's cendol, i prefer Ansari's.

    http://www.j2kfm.com/ansaris-famous-cendol-in-taiping-perak/

  2. Unknown // September 19, 2009 at 7:03 PM  

    I heard so much about "Taiping Cendol" but never have the chance to savor it. ^-^

  3. Cokeworld Citizen // September 21, 2009 at 1:17 AM  

    J2Kfm:
    Oh aiyoh...I tell you this trip was really planned in less than 12 hours ahead of the trip...But its kinda fun too not to research about the place and enjoy as it is.

    Food Paradise:
    Hahaha I heard of Taiping Cendol for 3 years and I finally get to eat them. You can head there during the weekends ma...Less than 1 day can kau tim Taiping la.