I knew I got to have it the moment I knew it still exists! I saw it in comics (Lat), heard about it from mom...It's funny but I really appreciate food from the past ;)



Although this ais kepal is simply made of only compressed ice shavings coated with syrup, it still tastes good to me...hehe their sweet but sharp smelling red syrup never failed to 'fish' me to their stall. Pair it with sarsi cordial...perfect.


The ais kacang lady will put the ais kepal in a plastic bag, in contrast of how people serve it in the past, that is holding it with our bare hands! When I had the ais kepal, I heard an aunty saying its not hygienic to her son. Well, if that not hygienic, what makes you think eating at a road side is hygienic?

Eating (sucking?) this ais kepal is not very easy. I had to suck (hard) the syrup out of the ice ball, becareful not to crumble it and eat fast so it doesn't melt! But in this case, the aunty skillfully shaped a quality ais kepal for me and I have 冷冻之手 (Frozen hands) hahaha! The ais kepal did not melt a single bit and ate slowly XD

Best visit this Teochew chendol stall in Penang Road in the evening after 5pm. Around 6pm maybe? Less people, quieter lane and better dessert. Oh yeah the best part is this ais kepal only cost 80 sen. Yes 80 SEN ;)

If not mistaken, I'd seen this ice ball in a Japanese comic. I wonder if it originates from Japan actually. hahaha.

Happy slurping~

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

15 comments

  1. Precious Pea // April 11, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

    Absolutely perfect on a HOT, BURNING, SUNNY day...slurps!

  2. Anonymous // April 11, 2008 at 2:24 PM  

    Wahh, I thought this only existed in Lat comics and in the past. Looks so cool! More like an artifact than a dessert though... Lol.

  3. Cokeworld Citizen // April 11, 2008 at 3:25 PM  

    precious pea:
    yupz yupz...why else would I drive all the way to town just to have it? hehe

    kenny:
    haha thats wat i thought to. Seems like its an all time favourite. Artifact...lolz...

  4. JOjo // April 11, 2008 at 4:03 PM  

    You mean this still exist? I only heard from a Ipoh fren that they still have it there. Where did u get this? Missing the good old days...

  5. Cokeworld Citizen // April 11, 2008 at 11:55 PM  

    jojo:
    Haha it will still exist as long as there are ppl who wants to eat it! XD Tot i mentioned that I had at the famous penang chendol stall at lorong keng kwee i think.

  6. Sharon Y. // April 12, 2008 at 4:13 AM  

    Haha cute ler. Food court at Batu Lanchang market also got sell but I dunno if it's technically considered ice kepal.

  7. Xiu Long Bao // April 13, 2008 at 1:01 PM  

    haha...good one. My dad always rave bout this ais kepal he used to have during his schooling days long long loooooong time ago. Only costs him 5 sen wor.

  8. Cokeworld Citizen // April 13, 2008 at 2:25 PM  

    durianberry:
    wah batu lanchang got? Stall yang mana satu? so many of them selling ais kacang.

    xlb:
    oh my mom also told me 5 sen. haha tak sangka food prices hiked up 400% in the span of 50 years...

  9. Jason // April 14, 2008 at 10:05 AM  

    Wuaah... there's plenty of desserts in Penang unheard of.

  10. Jys // April 21, 2008 at 1:43 PM  

    wow, looks very cute leh.. wonder how come when i visit penang last time my friend didn't bring me try this..

  11. Cokeworld Citizen // April 21, 2008 at 2:08 PM  

    jason:
    haiyah not very plenty oni lah...

    joyce:
    thats cuz ur friend must be like me, din know its still existing...I only knew about it when one of the customers order...next time datang try ;)

  12. Unknown // May 20, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

    sorry, may i know where is it?

  13. Cokeworld Citizen // May 20, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

    Xiuxln:
    Paiseh. Its actually sold at the Famous Penang Teochew Chendol stall. Lorong Keng Kwee off Penang Road.

    Depending on the customer crowd, the aunty would only make it when there's not many custormers around.

  14. Seiji // December 24, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

    japanese comic??
    i think u saw onigiri..
    kinda similar though.. ^^

  15. Cokeworld Citizen // December 25, 2009 at 3:00 PM  

    Seiji:
    Oh, can't remember now. Was a long time ago.