I have not return to Japin since the previous Japanese Animation Exhibition that was held in Island Plaza. I didn't recommend nor mention this restaurant to people as I find the food was normal until my mom told me Japin is frequented by Japanese for its authenticity in terms of taste.

On my previous visit, I ordered fried rice and gyoza. Gyoza was ok but not the rice. Since the restaurant was given a full page review at Kwang Wah Daily, its worth another shot.

This is part of the restaurant. Not a very huge place but there should be something that kept the restaurant around for 7 years. Not an easy feat for an eatery.

I went there for dinner with mom and 2 aunties. Being indecisive for a dinner place, mom voiced up and made the call as she remembered the newspaper mentioned about the restaurant. Everyone agreed :)

One aunt ordered Tori Sogayaki set (Fried chicken with ginger) priced at RM19.80.

Almost all sets are served with this Japanese style preserved cabbage. Something like kimchi but I prefer this way more than Korean kimchi as it does not have the pungent smell. Sourish with a bit of heat from the chilli flakes, this small plate will be enough to increase your appetite.

Every Japanese restaurant or family has their own recipe of preserving vegetables. Difficult to find Japanese restaurants which serves preserved vegetables these days.

Not oily at all and the gingerly aroma reminded my aunt of a chinese dish, sesame chicken...hehe

Whenever I went to Queensbay, I always pass by Japin's banner near the elevator promoting some noodles at RM7.90 (nett). Yupz, they have an outlet there as well. So I decided to order the promoted item, Oishii Ramen.

Portion was slightly huge and the noodle used was different. There were minced meat, pan-fried ham, spring onions and loads of sesame seeds.

I was surprised to discover the noodles were flat. It's totally different from the normal ramen. The noodles were so smooth and silky, you can just slurp it up! The soup is vege and meat based. Savoury spicy noodles and I sweat buckets while eating it :P Luckily the heat did not stay long like local cili padi XP The soup was salty but it was said that Japanese prefer their food to be slightly saltier.

Mom ordered Handon Setto (RM 22.80) which comprises a rice and noodle combination. The rice was served with fried chicken cutlets cooked with egg. As for the noodles, a bowl of Shoyu Ramen (half of the normal serving size) was given together with the rice.

That bowl of rice was so huge that mom couldn't even finish it :P

So I had to telan the Shoyu Ramen after finishing Oishii Ramen.

As you can see, the soup was practically oil-less. Soup was great. Clear yet flavourful with a nice aroma of the braised pork. The melt in the mouth pork slices were good too with equal layers of fat and meat. The vege included was soft and not fibrous.

I will definitely order it for my next visit.

All sets were served with a slice of watermelon.

Green tea drink was on promotion, so each cup cost only RM1 with free refills :) Every sip of their tea was pack with green tea flavour.

According to the newspaper review, the owner of the restaurant had stay in Japan for sometime to learn up making ramen which is why the restaurant only sells mainly noodles and rice dishes.

I forgot to take a picture of the gyoza. By the time I remember, the last piece was in my mouth already :S

The restaurant does not charge service and government tax. Every item on the menu is nett priced. Don't be surprise if you find most of their patrons are Japanese as they feel the taste is authentic.

Total damage RM94.90 for 4 person.

Japin in Island Plaza is the main outlet as the owner cooks there. There is another branch in Queensbay Mall but I do not know how it fares. All I know is, there is still one more thing to try. Their Almond Tofu with Red Bean was mentioned in the review. Hehe

Cut out the coupon in Kwang Wah Daily (printed on 24th April) for 20% discount

Japin (Island Plaza)
Add:
Lot 3-11 & 3-12, 3rd Floor Island Plaza
118, Jalan Tanjung Tokong
Tel: 04-8909006
Opening hours:
Mon to Fri
10.30am - 3.30pm
5.30pm - 9.30pm

Sat to Sun
10.30am - 9.30pm


Japin (Queensbay Mall)
Add:
2F-147 Queensbay Mall, 100, Persiaran Bayan Indah,
11900 Bayan Lepas, Pulau Pinang.
Tel: 04-6415098
Opening hours: Everyday 10.30am-10.30pm


View Larger Map

Happy reading~

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

0 comments