Penang Sisters Char Koay Teow

Posted by Cokeworld Citizen | 12:07 AM | , , | 9 comments »

This is definitely an overdue post :P So many people raved about Sister's Char Koay Teow which is located at this overcrowded gloomy kopitiam. I tagged along my coursemate (orang Taiping) as she doesn't know the roads leading to certain eateries. This kopitiam is our first pit stop. Despite being early, the kopitiam was already filled with customers.

We ordered the CKT and guess what she replied? "One hour later only you will be served." = . = So in the mean time, we have other food. One of the first thing we ordered was otak-otak. I was contemplating at the begining as I am not use to having otak-otak in the morning. How wrong I was. The otak-otak was delicious and the first time I see fish meat in otak-otak. Smooth, light and savoury as well as not too much daun kadok. RM2 perpiece if not mistaken. Not spicy at all and I happily slurp it down.
Another food that surprised me was the yam cake (Or Kuih). The fluffy-smooth textured yam cake amazed me. It also came with generous amount of sweet dried prawn bits, fried shallots and spring onion. I did not feel jelak at all after eating the cake. Taste good even without the sauce.

My friend ordered Jawa mee and I only had a bit of it. Not bad. The tomato-potato gravy tasted just right with the added calamansi lime (limau kasturi). It balanced up the sweet broth.

Finally, the CKT arrived. I never knew Sisters CKT is a white version. There are a few CKT varieties in Malaysia and Singapore. There are wet, dark and white CKTs.

I didn't find it as delicious as everyone claims to be. Is it me or because they fried the koay teow in large batches? Anyway, I still prefer my Air Itam Food Court CKT by the uncle.

Happy reading~

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

9 comments

  1. Precious Pea // December 18, 2008 at 8:57 AM  

    Ahhh...so many reviews i read of this place, all also telling me not worth trying. But why oh why still so many people?

  2. "Joe" who is constantly craving // December 18, 2008 at 10:09 AM  

    it does look TERRIBLY white...no dark soya sauce ar?

  3. Allie // December 18, 2008 at 3:51 PM  

    Aiks.. I never know sister ckt is white one. I prefer Ah Leng ckt. Yummy.

  4. Anonymous // December 18, 2008 at 4:13 PM  

    What? Is that really Sisters' CKT? Why so white one? Albino version? LOL.

  5. Cokeworld Citizen // December 18, 2008 at 8:35 PM  

    Precious Pea:
    Yeah absolutely no worth trying lah...Tourist ppl...u know lah...But the rest worth eating tho and no need to wait.

    Joe:
    Dunno leh...It's my first time eating the ckt and remembering it. I don't remember how the previous ckt taste like :P

    Allie:
    Haven't try Ah Leng ckt yet. Seriously I dun see why tourists flocking to to places like this and Lorong Selamat. I very anti those places lah. Beh syok with the lansi hawker stalls.

    Vkeong:
    Yeah 100% Sisters ckt. There are white, wet and black type of ckt. The usual one is black lo. White can be equally delicious if its cooked properly.

  6. Jason // December 24, 2008 at 9:09 AM  

    But the colour (dark) somehow gives the impression of a better ckt :P

  7. Cokeworld Citizen // December 24, 2008 at 9:31 PM  

    Jason:
    Hahaha most people would think like that, so do I sometimes. To get good ckt you need good soy based sauce and good wok hei.

  8. gill gill // December 28, 2008 at 8:36 AM  

    Maybe they were good 10-20 years back, but it was truly terrible and worst now! Coz they fried the CKT few plates at once, and didnt care bout quality but quantity....geee, seems like eating the malay eco CT huh? hahaha...pay RM5 for malay style eco Koew Teow...worth it?

    Kinda lost face (lak seh) for Penang CKT as its claim as Penang Best.

  9. Cokeworld Citizen // December 28, 2008 at 4:02 PM  

    gill gill:
    I think if they fry the CKT individually, we have to wait 2 hours :P Malay CKT good leh. I actually prefer Malay CKT wet style.