Bao Teh Fruit

Posted by Cokeworld Citizen | 10:06 PM | , , | 10 comments »

These are some fruits my dad's friend plucked from a tree at his home. I'd never seen this fruit before and my dad only knows it by the name of 'Bao Teh' because it supposedly to give a tea after-taste after consuming.

Seriously, I really don't know what its called in English. But I do know they taste like a mild rose syrup on my first few bites. Then, after I washed my palate down with some water, the left over pulp in my mouth taste like those normal jambu air (large maroon red variety).

The textures are really similar to those jambu air but not as crunchy as them. There is no 'tea' after-taste as claimed by my dad's friend. Anyone seen this fruit before?

Jambu Air Mawar exploration to be continued.

Happy reading~

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

10 comments

  1. Precious Pea // January 15, 2009 at 8:48 AM  

    Interesting!! Never seen this before. Send me the seed please! Hahaha..kidding. But if possible, take a pic of the tree next time. Very curious to see how it looks like.

  2. Anonymous // January 15, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

    nv seen this before too. it looks like nutmeg family to me

  3. Anonymous // January 15, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

    Do you know where can I see it in Penang?

  4. Cokeworld Citizen // January 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM  

    Precious Pea:
    Haha the seed ady throw away liao ...Me also haven't seen the tree before. Need to ask my dad where his friend live liao cuz its his tree :P

    Xin:
    That fruit would be 100 times less keras than nutmeg. Haha. The features are more like jambu air tho.

    ck lam:
    My dad's friend's house? lol kidding. I dunno how he has that tree also.

  5. gill gill // January 15, 2009 at 2:25 PM  

    new exploration!

  6. Cokeworld Citizen // January 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM  

    gill gill:
    Hahaha! I never thought it could be one LOL

  7. email2me // January 15, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

    looks pretty weird =.="

    like a honey dew melon to me but with a solid biji in the center

  8. Cokeworld Citizen // January 16, 2009 at 2:22 AM  

    Everyone:
    haha ya weird fruit. My dad mentioned that the tree actually belongs to a man who owns a coffee shop (currently replaced with Asia Cafe, not his anymore). The fruit was plucked by my dad's friend who went to that coffeeshop owner house (behind Midlands) for a drink. My dad also added that the fruit's tree was also spotted at Kampung Melayu entrance off Air Itam Road (near a hokkien mee seller).

  9. Anonymous // July 8, 2011 at 4:13 PM  

    English name is called Jambos
    Chinese name is called 蒲桃

    http://en.wikipedia.org.jp.mk.gd/wiki/Syzygium_jambos
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgerus/4745843926/

  10. Cokeworld Citizen // July 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM  

    Anonymous: Thanks for the info!