Penang Chowrasta Wet Market - Kuih Ketayap

Posted by Cokeworld Citizen | 12:36 AM | , | 6 comments »

I saw VKeong's post on Chowrasta Kuih Ketayap and I think I should share my past sightings of the stall when the original person was still around. I do feel like kicking myself for such crappy video shots of the uncle. Just doesn't do the justice.




I always love to get Kuih Ketayap from this stall. Apart from the slightly chewy and burnt skin (which adds texture and flavor), juicy desiccated coconut and just the right amount of sweetness from added sugar-peanut mixture.

I can't find my orignal photos because my old hard disk had crashed :( All these photos and video were retrieved from my abandoned Xanga account. Fortunately its still there.

Back to Kuih Ketayap, uncle would have to prepare everything from scratch and I do mean everything. The skin and filling. The green metal stove you see in the picture below uses kerosene and you can smell it by standing next to it.

Such classic kuih is loved by many people as every time I was there, I had to wait quite sometime before he reaches my order. I am glad the wife and family still continue the business. Hands down, their Kuih Ketayap should be listed as part of Penang's Herritage Food.

Many years have passed but Penang will always remember him not only because of his delicious Kuih Ketayap but also his hard work, effort & dedication. Cheers!

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

6 comments

  1. jason // August 16, 2010 at 11:13 PM  

    Eh where's the end prodcut pic? :p

  2. Cokeworld Citizen // August 17, 2010 at 8:14 PM  

    i cant find it!!! sob T.T

  3. venus // October 3, 2011 at 3:15 PM  

    where the place??

  4. New Kid on the Blog // June 18, 2012 at 5:53 PM  

    I heard the uncle passed away already, now leaving the wife and the daughter in law taking care of the stall. Only open once a week on Saturday for few hours.

  5. New Kid on the Blog // June 18, 2012 at 5:53 PM  

    I heard the uncle passed away already, now leaving the wife and the daughter in law taking care of the stall. Only open once a week on Saturday for few hours.

  6. Cokeworld Citizen // June 30, 2012 at 7:35 PM  

    Yup I knew that long ago. That's why I made a tribute video for the uncle.
    Haih...at least the kuih is still around.