Spanish Pure Sierra Safron

Posted by Cokeworld Citizen | 2:51 AM | , , | 4 comments »

Saffron the most exotic and expensive spice up to now. I am not going to drown you with all the information. So please kindly 'wiki' the word saffron for further details : )

I thought it would be difficult to find saffron. Thus, my friend and I set off to Little India in Penang ,calling it a 'Saffron Hunt'. Little did we know, its available in all the shops that states there 'Spice Merchant'.

Prices in all the shops we visited were different and one of the shop was carrying a different brand for the saffron (picture below). This 1.5gm little strands cost me RM20 =.= Others are selling at RM28 or RM26 (2gm.....2 gm! 0.O) for another brand "Taj-Mahal" (I think). For that brand, it has a smaller packaging (1gm) that costs around RM13 but its only available next year. How true is it?

How should saffron taste? I took one strand and find its slightly salty. The smell is pungent for 1 strand 0.O Very quickly my saliva became yellow >.<

Hm...problem now is...what should I do with it? Risotto? Saffron milk?

PS: Singapore is selling at SGD9 for 2 gm

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

4 comments

  1. Jason // December 5, 2007 at 1:19 PM  

    Er... maybe you can find some recipe on the internet. I don't think I taste saffron before.

  2. Cokeworld Citizen // December 8, 2007 at 3:42 PM  

    Jason: I did haha but malas wanna cook :P

    gotta masak it before school reopen ><

  3. Jason // December 10, 2007 at 4:50 PM  

    Hehe... then faster try and see.

  4. SassyGal // May 7, 2011 at 3:42 PM  

    Hi Jason
    You can cook paella with it! I just cooked it today and it tastes great!