Steam, steam, steam

Posted by Cokeworld Citizen | 12:10 AM | , | 4 comments »

You pesky 'assignments'! I have now kick every single one of your kind off from the top of Penang Hill!
lolz At least thats what I imagined in my mind XD Pardon me...just had a sucky semester.

I finally got back home just in time for cheng beng. Not that my family cooks super lot neither mom cooks at all, but I just made it an effort to get home and pray my late grandma.


This time I remember to steam cakes to bring along.... I think I need more ginko nuts :P I steamed 3 tins this time. 2 for prayer (a lot of relatives) and the other one for ourselves. Seriously, its a failure-proof recipe. How to go wrong when you just have to dump everything in, mix and steam? But of course, its not really that simple la.

I always used Pillsbury pancake mix to steam. I dare not use another brand (although I have) because its already 10.30pm...Yeah you read it right. PANCAKE MIX hehehe XD Recipe calls for 250gm of Pillsbury premix, 1 grade A egg, 1tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 cup room temp. butter (i just agak agak, I threw in 50gms) and 120ml water. I don't like the idea of adding water into my cake so I replaced it with milk and probably added in more than 120ml. So throw everything in and mix till it becomes smooth. Don't worry if it appears super lumpy at the beginning. Just keep mixing, eventually it will become smooth. Add more milk if you think the mixture is dry. Cheese is optional but according to my relatives, the ones with cheese taste better. Just lay them on top of the mixture after pouring it .


After 10 mins or more, voila butter cake alike minus the heaty-ness and mahuan-ness. My baker aunty says its better compare to the oven baked counterpart. Its smoother and fluffier. Oh yeah, check with toothpick by poking it into the cake after the mentioned steaming time. POKE EVERYWHERE or you will end up with sticky uncooked cake :S yux... Remember to grease the tin container with butter. Another thing is, if you over steam it, the surface will crack ;)

Happy steaming~

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

4 comments

  1. Anonymous // April 2, 2008 at 9:43 AM  

    So nice and buttery... I love it with a bit more milk... and I think you relative's suggestion of adding cheese is heavenly...

    I should go buy a cow at this rate... I LOVE DAIRY PRODUCTS!!! Lol.

    *mooooooo....*

  2. Cokeworld Citizen // April 2, 2008 at 3:34 PM  

    kenny:
    hehe *gimme five* I luv dairy products too! *moo moo* XD

  3. Jason // April 4, 2008 at 11:39 PM  

    Eh.. Pillsbury can be steamed meh?? O.O *baking nerd here*

    Nampak sedap lah!

  4. Cokeworld Citizen // April 5, 2008 at 1:05 PM  

    jason:
    salah la....no baking involve...cuma steam...hehe

    i was O.o oso when saw the recipi on the box until i try. the most fun part is I just dump everything in and stir. Hehehe, it will still rise regardless wat u put in first. Its good. Soft, fluffy and smooth with distinctive butter smell. Chun!