My uncle suggested about having light lunch at Sakae Sushi since he just recovered from fever. My first experience with Sakae Sushi at Queensbay Mall wasn't all that pleasant but decided to give it another go to see if there are any improvements. I never understood why there are long queues for Sakae Sushi. The food is not over the top but the price is somewhat towards the medium-high end.

I ordered this because its looks very much alike to the sushi I had at Tao Autocity. It's smooth but lacking in flavour.

Instead of a bento, I ordered Mini Hotate Nabemono that uses paper pot. This soup consists mainly of vegetables and mushrooms. The soup base is light on the palate and comforting for our stomach especially if one doesn't have enough sleep.

The fire keeps it warm and cooks the scallop as well. Remember to watch the fire else you will have burnt paper as an additional flavoring to your soup :P and risk leaking away the already less soup.

RM22+ for a pot of this is not bad if they add more scallops and not stuffing the pot base with lots of chinese cabbage is still hard even with the heat.

Sashimi Moriawase was ok. Fresh ikura (salmon eggs) in hallowed Japanese cucumber, salmon, ebi, white fish? and boiled tako tentacles. Ebi was creamy smooth and sweet. However the octopus is still tough exactly what I had back then. It's like chewing on rubber :S The manager said the texture is as it is when it arrived in vacuumed packs. So my question is if they know its that hard then why do they still serve it?

Don't think I will go back to Sakae Sushi again or at least anytime soon. RM177+ was spent for 4 person's meal, it's a ridiculous price for contemporary Japanese fast food restaurant. Anyhow, thanks to my uncle for belanja-ing.

Happy reading~

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

8 comments

  1. "Joe" who is constantly craving // December 15, 2008 at 9:12 AM  

    wow..so exp? than again i tend to go crazy with the ordering too..

    its good enuf to settle a craving..but its no more than that..

  2. Anonymous // December 15, 2008 at 10:06 AM  

    With that price, I could have easily dine in a better restaurant with tastier Japanese food in Penang...but you never know it you don't try.

    I experience this problem many times too.

  3. J2Kfm // December 15, 2008 at 10:36 AM  

    somehow these type of japanese kaiten belt restaurant cant be trusted for true, authentic and delicious Japanese food huh?

    Sushi Zanmai seems to garner a following over in KL though.

  4. Cokeworld Citizen // December 15, 2008 at 1:52 PM  

    Joe:
    Yeah lah when I saw the total on the monitor I terkejut and the total only comes after u tekan the order button. WTH... My craving only cost me RM5 at Sushi King :S

    ck lam:
    Yeah...Now they have Jurin at Gurney plaza. I think it would be a better option. RM177 haven't add some other charges and some last order. I think its around RM200+ ady. I wonder how much is kampachi buffet lunch.

    J2Kfm:
    Sushi King, Sakae Sushi, Sushi Zanmai, Genki Sushi...I think Sushi Jusco works just fine and it comes with 20% discount samo after 9pm.

  5. Anonymous // December 16, 2008 at 3:49 PM  

    WTF RM177? That's like RM45 per pax.. can go eat buffet liao loh. I have always wondered how the paper steamboat tastes like..

    Anway Sakae Sushi is the best choice for sushi joint in Penang. And do you know there's a group of Sakae haters? They are planning to open a group in facebook just to hate Sakae Sushi.. lol.

  6. Cokeworld Citizen // December 16, 2008 at 3:53 PM  

    vkeong:
    luckily not I pay :P lol...paper steamboat is less oily and the broth is more to the natural sweet side. Haha can i join them? Really best choice ar? :S

  7. Anonymous // December 17, 2008 at 11:04 AM  

    Wah... this is like daylight robbery.
    I went to Ninja Jones with a friend, we had more items (albeit the most basic Japanese stuff like soft shell crab roll, agedashi tofu, garlic rice etc) and it only costs us about RM130.

  8. Cokeworld Citizen // December 17, 2008 at 5:44 PM  

    Jason:
    Dunno leh....tekan tekan then RM177 ady...that one also havent include 3 more hand rolls and tax :P