I don't know why but two weeks ago somehow I really really wanted to have some chee cheong chuk 猪肠粥 (pig intestines porridge? LOL). CCC at BT Food Court and New Lane were closed. Eventually, after gobling down 2 bbq chicken thighs at BT Food Court, my parents and I drove to Ayer Itam to try our luck for CCC. Indeed, the uncle and his stall was there so we stopped at the roadside to tapao.

The stall was easily recognisable as it looks like those stalls back in the olden days, partly made of wood with spring onions, intestines and red char siew hanging. lol So classic!

I quickly ordered 2 packets with extra white intestines (uhm as in....bak cheong, 白肠?) Anyway, I also asked the uncle to add roasted/fried intestine (some call siew cheong 烤肠, some call cha cheong 炸肠). Remember asking the uncle to separately pack them to maintain the crispyness! Maybe ask him to reduce the amount of pepper as well. He tends to put in too much :P

Extra side ingredients means extra money of course. Each packet cost RM5. A standard price even if you eat at BT Food Court or New Lane. So far only CCC sold at New Lane and Ayer Itam doesn't have the gamy smell. Very important, otherwise you would feel as if you are eating something nasty :S

The roasted intestine was very crispy and flavourful! Imagine a spoonful of smooth porridge with smooth strips of bak cheong 白肠 in your mouth and a sudden burst of crispyness from the fried intestines :)

Best to be eaten with porridge, else too salty... Haha Porridge was cooked less flavourful compare to the side ingredients so they complement each other.

The uncle only opens his stall at night and he will be there until all the porridge are sold out. I forgot to ask him when is his off day...opss...

This is the map roughly. The place is Pekan Air Itam. So many names. Ayer Itam, Air Hitam, Air Itam =.=




View Larger Map

Oh man...I am getting fatter these days...

Happy reading~

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

16 comments

  1. CRIZ LAI // February 4, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

    I love CCC too with additional add ons of the crispy siu cheong. :)

    You also found it rather hard to get great food these few days right? I had that problem for last one week. Every good stalls tend to take long breaks.. haha. Well, I have to solve some problems too with the unavailability of good food. Check out my latest post. :P

    http://crizfood.com/

  2. Precious Pea // February 4, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

    Ahhhh...sedap sedap. I only take fried intestines cos it doesn't have that 'strong' smell. YUMMYY!!

  3. Cokeworld Citizen // February 4, 2009 at 7:20 PM  

    Criz Lai:
    Hahaha CCC got so many fans out there. Only lansi famous stalls can afford to take long breaks LOL. Penang hawker stalls very lansi hor?

    Precious Pea:
    Yeah sedap! Haha like I say, good ones will not have the 'strong' smell as they are cleaned properly.

  4. The Malaysian Explorer // February 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM  

    looks good. need to try it soon.

    Visit Malaysia Facts
    for quick facts and interesting information about Malaysia.

    Visit
    About ME Page
    for quick facts and interesting information about
    The Malaysian Explorer.

  5. New Kid on the Blog // February 4, 2009 at 8:57 PM  

    wow... thanks for sharing!! never know ayer itam has such stalls... by the way, you didn't give any landmark??!!

  6. Cokeworld Citizen // February 5, 2009 at 12:18 AM  

    The Malaysian Explorer:
    Haha glad you said that :)

    New Kid on the Blog:
    Well I thought if I mentioned Air Itam, ppl will associate it with the laksa area d wat. When ppl reach there, they should look for it. Haha thats why its called food hunt.

  7. gill gill // February 5, 2009 at 12:25 AM  

    yeo, the map is too rough, i really can get where is the place...hee, as NKOTB asked, any landmark near by?

  8. Cokeworld Citizen // February 5, 2009 at 2:05 AM  

    gill gill:
    Pekan Air Itam is just a tiny area. I guess now you can agak agak know where is Air Itam laksa rite?

  9. Jason // February 10, 2009 at 10:21 PM  

    Oh yes yes.. I think cha cheong are nice too hehe...

  10. Anonymous // February 10, 2009 at 11:15 PM  

    y so little of the fried intestine one? must gah liu!

  11. Cokeworld Citizen // February 13, 2009 at 5:53 PM  

    Jason:
    Hahaha cha cheong is great!

    kampungboycitygal:
    Aiyo...I ady ask to pack extra...separately so when I reach home I can still enjoy the cha cheong bit by bit XD

  12. wmw // February 16, 2009 at 1:47 AM  

    I love jook with chow cheong!

  13. Cokeworld Citizen // February 16, 2009 at 2:42 AM  

    wmw:
    wahaha CCC must have that. Without char cheong, its not CCC ady.

  14. Anonymous // March 22, 2009 at 12:28 PM  

    I still find the one at New Lane is the best in Penang!

  15. Cokeworld Citizen // March 23, 2009 at 12:22 AM  

    My Taste Heaven:
    Hehehe New Lane is still the best. I never said Air Itam one is the best XD

  16. Anonymous // November 30, 2011 at 5:45 PM  

    thanks for sharing.I didnt know they stil exist except for new lane.ur blog very informatve.