Sungai Pinang Food Court - Night Time

Posted by Cokeworld Citizen | 3:30 AM | , | 13 comments »

Oh my gosh....there are so many posts and I am getting dizzy already @.@ Just when you finish one blog post, another eatery mushroomed out of no where :P

Sungai Pinang Food Court has been around for some time but I haven't had the time to visit it until last week. I was amazed at the amount of people who were dining at this food court that day. Unbelievable.

Droves of cars were driving in, waiting for empty car park slots. But not to worry, there are plenty of carpark actually as the shoplots in the area were closed during night time.

There were so many people that we had to wait for tables or in Penang context, snatch table :P
This side alone already has more than 10 stalls. Since this side was more spacious, we decided to 'wait' for tables with our watchful eyes. LOL

After getting a table, I walked around to see check out the place.

This picture above was taken on the other side of the food court. Now you get what I mean? And it was only a normal weekday, can't imagine how is it during holidays :P

I think this food court houses famous hawker stalls from various location. Not very sure but there must be something that pulls in the crowd right? From so many stalls, I know East Coast Grilled Seafood and Sungai Dua's famous Fried Rice King were there.

While walking around, I found this Golden Claypot Curry Chicken Stall (金砂煲). Their concept was 'one person one pot of curry chicken' (一人一煲加哩鸡), catchy right?

Every one would be provided a pot of curry chicken and you can choose to have it with bread, yellow glutinous rice or plain white rice.

  1. A small pot of curry chicken + White Bread - RM4.80
  2. A small pot of curry chicken + Yellow Glutinous Rice - RM5.50
  3. A small pot of curry chicken + White Rice - RM4.40
Having much say about this, I don't get to eat it as my stomach wasn't feeling well and my parents had already ordered their food :(

On my way back to my table, I saw AA Kong's Dessert. The number of cold dessert and hot dessert selection was quite good. With cute names like Ah Ma Tang Yuen and Ah Kong Tang Yuen. Hahaha...

Dessert Menu :
Cold
Chill Honeydew Sago - RM3.50
Chill Mango with Sago - RM4.00
Super Mango (Mango with sago + mango pudding) - RM6.00
Chill Dragon Fruit with Sago - RM4.50
Chill Mix Fresh Fruit with Sago - RM5.00
Super Fresh Fruits with Sago (More fruit types with mango pudding) - RM7.00
Home Made Mango Pudding - RM4.00
Jackfruit with Mango Pudding - RM5.00
Fresh Fruits with Home Made Mango Pudding (less fruit types + mango pudding) - RM5.50
Oh Qio (Ice Jelly/Ai Yu Bing) - RM4.00

Hot Tong Sui

Peanut Soup Tang Yuen - RM4.50
Creamy Peanut Soup - RM3.00
Ginko Nut, Barley & Fu Chok Soup - RM3.00
White Fungus & Asian Pear Soup - RM3.00
Ah Kong Tang Yuen (Rice ball with ginger tea) - RM3.50
Ah Ma Tang Yuen (Rice ball with Fu Chok tong sui) - RM3.50

It was a super hot day, thus I ordered 2 cold dessert. Hahaha The owners (Mr Ong and Miss Tan) were friendly people and their family has been in the dessert business for a long time. If not mistaken they also cater for private function (Tel: 016-4190099)

Later on, I went back to my table. A while later, my parent's orders were served and I happily tumpang a few spoons for each dish :) Before I reached, they had already cleaned a plate of Char Koay Teow (RM3) :S

Mom ordered Salted Fish Fried Rice RM3.50 from Thai Food Fried stall (泰式炒饭)

Reasonably priced? The fried rice was full of wok hei and the rice did not lumped together. Taste was alright. Once in a while you'll bite into the salted fish bits hahaha but overall the fried rice wasn't too salty.

Dad's order arrived shortly. Chicken with Bean Sprouts and Koay Teow RM3. Cheap right? The chicken was smooth and tender. However, I don't like the koay teow and soy sauce as sesame oil taste was quite strong.

Then, dad's Hokkien Char (RM4) was served. I had a few spoonfuls before passing it over to mom. Hehe...The yellow noodles and bee hoon were hard. Probably too many poeple ordering, the cook did not have the time to braise the noodles a little longer. The taste was quite salty. Luckily we shared, else it would be harsh on our tastebuds and blood pressure :P

Mom ordered Wantan Noodles (RM2). Regular plate of wantan mee and has a weird taste to it.

Mom also ordered Tom Yam Maggi (RM4.50). I shared with mom and we both agreed its bad lol...The soup just tasted weird and the prawns wasn't really fresh. They also gave a few fried fish fillets. Nothing special about it. But the interesting part was, the stall's soup pot was three quarters of my height. Probably their Fish Meat Bee Hoon would fare better.

Finally, my desserts arrived. It took some time for them to arrive. Quite a lot of orders the dessert stall received.

Fresh Fruits with Home Made Mango Pudding RM5.50 Not bad. It has a lot of evaporated milk with reasonable amount of fruits and the bottom layer was mango pudding. There were cubes of dragon fruit, mango, jackfruit, honeydew and papaya. The mango pudding was smooth and not too sweet. Milky and refreshing. But I must say, the price is a bit on the high side. What do you think?

My childhood favourite dessert, Honeydew Sago (RM3.50). Honeydew cubes served with honeydew puree, sago, some syrup and a dollop of cream (or was it yoghurt?) Simple but not everyone can make a good honeydew sago.

The honeydew they used were riped so the dessert releases nice honeydew fragrance. It was chillin indeed. I think next time I would try their hot desserts.

Yupz, only 3 of us for dinner. Hahaha The place is worth visiting as there so much to try. They also have Malay stalls there :)

Happy reading~

Location:
Beside Jelutong Express Highway, Sungai Pinang Exit.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

13 comments

  1. Unknown // June 23, 2009 at 6:00 PM  

    I went there last weekend too and it is pack with people. Did not get the chance to try the tong shui yet. But try other stuffs. ^-^

  2. Cokeworld Citizen // June 24, 2009 at 12:23 AM  

    Food Paradise:
    I weekday go ady no place, it seems weekend is even worse :P hahaha but I think only the claypot curry chicken caught my attention nia lo :D

  3. Food For Tots // June 24, 2009 at 2:06 AM  

    So many nice hawker food to try out! I am hungry now. ;)

  4. Cokeworld Citizen // June 24, 2009 at 6:09 AM  

    Food For Tots:
    So many poeple too :P LOL My stomach was growling while writing this post hehe

  5. Jason // June 24, 2009 at 12:13 PM  

    Sekali pandang hor, the tomyam maggi mee doesn;t look appetising at all. ^^

    But yeah, I think the mango pudding dessert was a bit on the high side.

  6. Cokeworld Citizen // June 24, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

    Jason:
    Aih I was tricked by the picture on the stall :S SO disappointed when I saw wat they served :( Anyhow, cannot waste food.

    I think if they sell at RM4.00 it would be more reasonable. Probably the sewa is high :P

  7. Anonymous // July 14, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

    It actually isn't, haha. Pretty reasonable and lower than quite a few places for a whole-day food court. The daily rental might vary from stall to stall though; that I do not know.

    PS: Sorry, I don't have an email account so this has to remain anonymous....

  8. Anonymous // July 30, 2009 at 5:08 AM  

    last week i went to sg pinang food court and had a pot of curry chicken i found out that a bit dirty and the KOAY TEOW SOUP owner is very action the old lady ok!!!!she wont take your order. she said order over there then i order one bowl of HERBAL SOUP i found out a small white thing that crawl the owner said is a herbal pls ok

  9. Anonymous // August 27, 2009 at 12:07 AM  

    the curry mee is very nice oso,there got soup and dry curry mee ...it realy nice...and good service too.can go to try...:)

  10. Anonymous // September 7, 2009 at 2:29 AM  

    u guys should try the sizzling hot plate..i went last week there and its nice..

  11. autor_lee73 // September 9, 2009 at 12:42 AM  

    Yups correct a lot of food there....
    Almost the foods are reasonable to eat la..... In penang "ha mi pun ho liau"...But really Miss the Dessert "Tong Shui" so nice but currently stop selling....Hmm!Hmmm! wasted...

    I usually going there thrice a week with my colleague bcos working distance very near......
    But there are something that my frends and heards some news frm others agree that the toilet are very nice with air-cond.....but really need to keep/maintain it clean especially some people dunno how to use it.... "Kopi kia" or waitress very slow to come and serve or taking order some of them just stand here and there when we are calling for them.... hope the boss of this Food Court can notice of my comment.......as a concernt to visit penang of tourist during hari raya...... thanks....

  12. KC // February 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM  

    Map link http://wikimapia.org/#lat=5.3990465&lon=100.3252816&z=15&l=0&m=w

  13. KC // February 6, 2010 at 4:28 PM  

    map link http://wikimapia.org/#lat=5.3990465&lon=100.3252816&z=15&l=0&m=w