Kuala Sepetang Trip - Charcoal Factory

Posted by Cokeworld Citizen | 10:31 PM | , | 3 comments »

Whenever you are visiting kampung areas, its not unusual that you see people riding motorcycle without helmet and driving around without putting on seat belts :P How else you gonna squeeze in more than 3 people at the back of the car eh?


A couple of minutes driving and we are standing at the one of Kuala Sepetang's famous charcoal factory. I am pretty sure this site is talking about the one I visited. Anyway, when we were there the area was dead silent. Probably you would hear cars passing by or dogs barking. Other than that, the place looked as if it'd been abandoned LOL...


Baking process had started and transporting logs only takes place during early morning, when the tide is high. The place below is where the boats carrying logs come in. The water level was very low when we were there.


So I guess no point having so many workers around right? Only saw the lady boss there and she was kind enough to let us in ;)


Not a single part of the tree is wasted because leftover of the chopped trees were used to fire up the kiln and they are neatly placed outside the factory (near the entrance).




It was my first time visiting a charcoal factory :D Previously I onlyget to watch it from television. The moment you reach the place, you wouldbe able to smell the charcoal. You can sniff out the difference betweenthe charcoal there and the regular ones back in Penang.Yeah la, still smokey smell but it doesn't smell 'choking'. No wonder the charcoals produced at Kuala Sepetang can make it all the way to Japan.


Lucky to be able to see some remaining logs outside the kiln. I am only a head taller than the logs hahaha!

I think one of the food to look out for should be satay. Obviously they would be using locally produced charcoal right? Aih...I only thought about it at time of writing this post. My brains are getting slower these days...

Happy reading~

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

3 comments

  1. ck lam // September 27, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

    Very interesting outing.I miss visiting this factory during my makan outing in Kuala Setepang.

  2. cariso // September 28, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

    I visited charcoal factory too during my Kuala Gula trip.

  3. Cokeworld Citizen // September 29, 2009 at 2:31 AM  

    ck lam:
    ooo...since your husband hometown is around there, it shouldn't be a problem for you to visit the place :)

    cariso:
    ooo...the name reminds me of something else...LOL