Merdeka Open House 2008: Mee & My Malaysia

Posted by Cokeworld Citizen | 4:13 PM | , | 9 comments »

Opzz...too late to make it for the virtual party by Babe in the City...'dead line' is 29th August...=.=

Anyway in order to prove that I have the heart of a foodie I carry back 2kg of raw kolo mee all the way back from Miri :)

Ain't they look like instant noodles?

But of course they are much healthier than instant noodles...1kg of the raw noodles cost RM3.70 if not mistaken.

When you lift up the noodles, you can feel its drier and denser than our usual wantan mee. As you bring it closer to you, there is no sign of alkali water in the noodles which impresses me a lot. The pleasant flour smell is strong but I reckon that's how noodles should be, PURE ;)

I am a Cantonese so I love my soup and kicap (soy sauce) XD Do you notice most Cantonese dishes uses soy sauce as one of the main flavoring?

Pan fry the precooked kolo mee over high heat (Pre-cooked as in dip the noodles in hot water for 10 seconds, remove the noodles and wash it through cold water).

Next is to prepare some kicap mix. Mom pours in some water, dashes of soy sauce, a bit of dark soy sauce, sugar and lastly a handful of sawi (spinach/choy sum).

Please don't prepare too much sauce nor cook it too long, you won't get the springiness texture from the noodles if you do so.

There you have it. Sarawak Kolo mee that has been Cantonese-ed ;) Noodle smell is still prominent but its a good thing. I dare say you won't get this kind of quality noodle in Penang.

One thing I realized when I was in Sarawak was what I pay is what I get. That applies to all the food I'd eaten so far. I wouldn't say the food is expensive. It's almost the same with Penang and the quality is much better.

Happy slurping~

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

9 comments

  1. J2Kfm // August 31, 2008 at 11:06 AM  

    Kolo Mee is springy and tasty. only tried them once in KL, as I've never been to S'wak before.

  2. Babe_KL // August 31, 2008 at 3:46 PM  

    hmm sounds yummy, better late than never. will update your entry to my post ok ;-)

  3. Cokeworld Citizen // August 31, 2008 at 4:13 PM  

    j2kfm:
    ya kolo mee is good. It puts wantan mee to shame ;)

    babe_kl:
    hohoho thanx!

  4. Krista Goon // September 1, 2008 at 12:00 PM  

    Yes, kolo mee is certainly different and better. I'm a true blue Penangite and I never liked soppy, wet wantan mee. Kolo mee has more bite, more spring, or what Chinese say "QQ". JM, that looks like a good way of eating kolo mee, Canto style. Now why didn't I think of carrying home some kolo mee on my trips to Kuching? How did you carry it home! Check-in? Hand luggage?

  5. Anonymous // September 2, 2008 at 10:45 AM  

    Wah, 1kg RM3.70??? So darn cheap???

  6. Anonymous // September 2, 2008 at 10:07 PM  

    would love to have it with some curry chicken ..yumz

  7. Cokeworld Citizen // September 2, 2008 at 10:21 PM  

    Mayakirana:
    yaya better. Hand carry the noodle coz scared it become ketulan tepung :P

    jason:
    Ya quite cheap, terus got from supplier bah. I forgot leh how much 1kg wantan mee cost.

    kampungboycitygal:
    oooo they would go very well together! yummy yummy

  8. May d b0wl3r // September 5, 2008 at 7:53 PM  

    wah lao.. yeap unbelieveable org png suka sgt dgn mee kolo.. wooo... 2kg!!

  9. Cokeworld Citizen // September 8, 2008 at 12:10 AM  

    may:
    hehe. Kolo mee best :)